Sony SLT-a65 with 24MP and 1080p Movie
August 24th, 2011
Sony has announced the Sony SLT-a65 interchangeable lens camera, aimed at aspiring and more advanced photographers.
The Sony a65 feaures a newly developed Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor with impressive 24 megapixel effective resolution, as well as the world's first XGA OLED Tru-Finder viewfinder, the same features found in the higher end Sony a77 digital SLR (simultaneously announced).
The SLT-a65 features translucent mirror technology which replaces a conventional DSLR moving mirror with a fixed translucent mirror, which provides for ultra-fast shooting with speedy, accurate phase detection AF, designed to capture the action as it unfolds.
The Sony a65 interchangeable lens camera also offers 1080p HD movie recording capability in the AVCHD format with stereo sound, which can be conveniently activated with a simple push of the dedicated one touch movie recording button.
The a65 will be available by October 2011. The camera will be sold in a kit with the Sony DT 18-55mm wide angle zoom lens for an estimated retail price of $1150 in Canada. The estimated retail price in the US is $999 for the Sony SLT-a65 kit, and $899 for the body only. See the latest US deals on the Sony SLT series of interchangeable lens cameras.
• 24 megapixels: Ultra-high resolution Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor plus 2-step noise reduction for low noise still images and HD video.
• Revised BIONZ processor: Enhanced processing engine handles enormous amounts of sensor data to allow very high-speed shooting of superb, low-noise images.
• Translucent Mirror Technology: Replaces DSLR moving mirror with fixed translucent mirror: enables ultra-fast shooting with speedy, accurate phase detection AF.
• Class-leading shutter lag time: Ultra-fast shutter lag of just 50msec rivals the performance of high-end professional cameras: ideal for high-speed action shots.
• DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens: Includes high quality, general purpose telephoto zoom lens - ideal for everyday shooting.
• Ultra high-speed continuous shooting: Capture fast-moving action at up to 10fps with Full-time Continuous Autofocus for razor-sharp tracking of moving subjects.
• Quick AF Full HD movie: Shoot 1920x1080 video with full-time AF tracking of moving subjects: now with 24p/50p progressive shooting for cinematic results.
• Creative Full HD movie functions: Manual focus allows beautiful defocus effects (bokeh) during HD video shooting; PASM exposure modes offer total creative control.
• Advanced Quick AF Live View: Real-time full-resolution image display from main sensor on LCD or in viewfinder with fast, accurate phase-detection autofocus
• Object Tracking AF: Keeps faces or other selected objects in sharp focus, even if the target is obscured momentarily by another passing object.
• Sweep Panorama with 3D Sweep Panorama: Press the shutter and sweep the camera to capture extra-wide panoramic images: also capture 3D panoramas to view on 3D TV.
• Wide sensitivity range from ISO 50-16000: High maximum sensitivity allows natural, low-noise images, even in low light: expansion mode extends sensitivity down to ISO 50.
• 15-point phase-detection AF system: With 3 cross sensors for accurate, non-stop autofocusing - effective with Viewfinder or live view on LCD.
• Adjustable 3-inch Xtra Fine LCD: 2-way adjustable high resolution (921k dot) widescreen LCD: with TruBlack technology for superb detail and contrast.
• XGA OLED TruFinder: Precision electronic viewfinder with 2.36 million dot resolution, high contrast and 100% frame coverage for precision framing, manual focus and shot review.
• High-resolution information display: Select from a choice of digital leveling gauge, shooting parameters, grid lines and graphic exposure display options.
• Smart Teleconverter: Digitally zooms centre portion of image for high-resolution 12 megapixel images with 1."4x" or 2x magnification.
• Shot Result Preview: Touch a button to preview effects of adjusting aperture, shutter and DRO settings on depth of field, motion blur and dynamic range.
• AUTO+ Mode: Automatically analyses scene and shooting conditions, adjusting camera parameters for excellent results with any scene.
• Face Detection with Face Registration: Recognises up to 8 faces in a scene, optimising optimum exposure, white balance, flash and other settings for beautiful portraits.
• Smile Shutter: Automatically fires shutter when subject smiles with an adjustable smile detection sensitivity.
• Picture Effect Modes: Produce impressive creative effects with no PC needed - including Posterise, Partial Colour, HDR Painting, Soft Focus, Miniature.
• Enhanced HDR Auto: Automatically merges three successive exposures to create a single image with an effective dynamic range even wider than film.
• Multi-Frame Noise Reduction: Automatically combines a burst of six exposures to create a single ultra-low noise image.
• Handheld Twilight Mode: Automatically combines a burst of six exposures to create a single image with supressed blur and reduced noise in low light.
• GPS for easy geotagging: Automatically tags images with location information: enjoy map views with PMB software or on BRAVIA TV with Photo Map function.
• Creative Styles: 6 selectable image finishing options to suit range of shooting situations - can be customised for even greater creative control.
• D-Range Optimiser: Analyses image in real time, adjusting brightness and contrast for more natural, evenly exposed backlit scenes.
• Versatile drive modes: Drive modes include Continuous advance, Self-timer, exposure bracketing and White balance bracketing.
• Customisable buttons: AEL, ISO, and AF/MF buttons can be reassigned for quick access to a choice of 24 functions.
• SteadyShot INSIDE: In-body image stabilisation offers 2.5-4.0 steps anti-shake performance with A-mount lenses by Sony or Konica Minolta.
• Shading and aberration compensation: Intelligently corrects vignetting (peripheral shading), lateral chromatic aberration and distortion for each A-mount lens.
• Dual anti-dust system: Reduces build-up of dust on sensor during lens exchange.
• HDMI output: HD connector for image display on HD TV (requires optional cable). Photo TV HD enhances still image viewing on compatible BRAVIA.
• BRAVIA Sync: Allows direct control of camera playback functions via BRAVIA TV’s remote.
• Supplied software: Includes Image Data Converter SR, Image Data Lightbox SR and Picture Motion Browser.
Sony SLT-a65 Interchangeable Lens Camera Press Release:
TORONTO, Aug. 24, 2011 – Blazing speed, enhanced image quality, high resolution and incredible performance are just some of the features advanced amateurs and photo enthusiasts will find in Sony's newest alpha cameras, models SLT-A77 (a77) and SLT-A65 (a65).
Sony's latest refinements to its Translucent Mirror Technology make these new cameras the fastest, most responsive interchangeable lens cameras in their class. The a77 and a65 both feature a newly developed Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor with 24.3 effective megapixel resolution, as well as the world's first XGA OLED Tru-Finder viewfinder. The sensor teams with the next generation of Sony's BIONZ image processing engine to handle huge amounts of high speed data from the camera sensor, enabling unprecedented response times and flawless image quality with ultra-low noise when shooting still images or Full HD video.
"We feel that these cameras are a significant evolution of our breakthrough Translucent Mirror Technology," said Masayuki Yao, director of the alpha camera business group for Sony Canada. "They are also redefining how this unique technology can be put to use by enthusiasts."
The much anticipated successor to Sony's acclaimed a700 DSLR, the a77 boasts the world's fastest continuous autofocus (AF) shooting performance (among APS-C DSLRs in Aug 2011), capturing a burst of full resolution, 24 megapixel images at 12 frames per second with full-time phase-detection AF. The a65 achieves a similarly impressive 10fps shooting speed.
Precision AF tracking of moving subjects is more precise with the a77, due to a new 19-point autofocus system with 11 cross sensors. The a65 boasts 15-point AF with three cross sensors. Tracking Focus maintains accurate focus lock on a moving subject – even if the target is momentarily obscured. Additionally, a new electronic front shutter curtain achieves a minimum release time lag of just 50 milliseconds seconds, comparable to much more expensive professional-class DSLRs.
The a77 and a65 further refine Sony's acclaimed Fast Continuous AF Full HD Movie shooting, already featured on previous Sony Translucent Mirror cameras. Phase Detection maintains accurate focus during video shooting of portrait subjects, even when they're moving at fast speeds.
In another first for DSLR cameras, both new models can capture Full HD video at 60p (progressive) frame rates – incorporating the recently introduced AVCHD Progressive (Ver. 2.0) format. Also, 24p shooting is available for capturing beautiful ‘cinematic video footage. Manual focusing and P/A/S/M exposure modes, familiar to creative filmmakers, also can provide enhanced control during video shooting.
image quality and creative options
Both cameras showcase the world's first OLED Tru-Finder™, the world's first of its kind. With a 2359k dot (XGA) resolution, this precision electronic viewfinder offers a bright, highly detailed, high contrast image with 100 percent frame coverage and a wide field of view comparable to the most advanced class optical viewfinders.
However, unlike optical viewfinders, users have expansive customization capabilities through the OLED Tru-Finder™ viewfinder and can preview the effects of adjusting exposure, white balance and other settings in real-time. Photographers can also make fine focus tweaks via a zoomed-in portion of the image.
The Smart Teleconverter displays an enlarged central portion of the image sensor, allowing compositions to be displayed clearly on the XGA OLED Tru-Finder™ viewfinder and captured as 12 megapixel images with a digital zoom factor of 1.4x or 2x.
In another first for DSLR cameras, both new models can capture Full HD video at 60p (progressive) frame rates – incorporating the recently introduced AVCHD™ Progressive (Ver. 2.0) format. Also, 24p shooting is available for capturing beautiful cinematic video footage. Manual focusing and P/A/S/M exposure modes, familiar to creative filmmakers, also can provide enhanced control during video shooting.
Shooters can compose and review stills and video on the adjustable-angle three-inch (measured diagonally) Xtra Fine LCD™ display that offers high resolution (921k dot) and TruBlack technology for superb detail and contrast. As an extra refinement, the a77 introduces the world's first three-way adjustable screen that tilts and pivots freely for effortless framing at any angle (a65: two-way adjust LCD).
Revised ergonomics on both cameras include a comfortably contoured new grip design and tactile new button layout for ‘eyes off' operation while viewing via the high-resolution XGA OLED Tru-Finder™ viewfinder.
The Sony SLT-a77 adds front and rear control dials for intuitive fingertip operation and a separate top-mounted LCD data display. The durable body features magnesium alloy panels for strength and lightness. Key controls are sealed against the effects of dust and moisture, complementing similar levels of protection offered by the new SAL1650 lens, VG-C77AM Vertical Grip for a77 and HVL-F43AM flash unit.
A new shutter unit on the a77 is tested to 150,000 cycles and supports an ultra-fast minimum 1/8000 sec shutter speed (1/250 sec flash sync). On-board GPS allows automatic geo-tagging of photos and video clips with location data.
New DT 16-50mm
F2.8 SSM zoom lens and accessories
The high-performance lens features a dust and moisture-resistant design, and offers a zoom range of approximately 3x range at constant wide F2.8 aperture. Optical performance is assured by aspherical glass and three ED lens elements to minimize aberration at all focal lengths. An internal Super Sonic wave Motor (SSM) drive enables fast, quiet autofocus.
An optional dust and moisture-resistant VG-C77AM Vertical Grip assures comfortable handling in vertical shooting positions. It can house up to two NP-FM500H InfoLITHIUMbatteries, doubling shooting stamina to approximately 1060 shots (via LCD monitor)/940 shots (via Tru-Finder viewfinder) when using Memory Stick PRO Duo media. Other new A-mount system accessories include a back pack (LCS-BP2), soft carrying cases (LCS-SC21 and LCS-SC8), LCD protectors and eyepiece cups.
Back to Top
Back to News Page